Tool Name: QAComplete
Category: Test Management Tool
Company: SmartBear Software
Latest Version: 3.4
Take the guess work out of the software delivery lifecycle. Provide your QA and development teams with the power to collaborate, track project progress, and report on requirements, test cases, and defects.
QAComplete allows you to take a strategic approach to testing by prioritizing key test functions, accounting for risk, planning for coverage, and controlling test execution. Employing effective test case management helps you ensure you’re running the right tests, and thus avoid releasing an application that is not customer-ready.
Test Case Management:
The ability to organize, plan, and analyze your testing efforts across the lifecycle is critical to your success or failure whether you use manual or automated test cases today. As projects cope with fewer development resources, higher quality expectations, and shorter development timelines, any serious development effort needs better test case management. QAComplete delivers.
- Manage manual test cases and link them back to the original requirements, thereby ensuring a requirement has been met. Evaluate the test run history of those automated tests right from QAComplete.
- Employ re-usable manual test libraries to quickly create new test scenarios.
- Graphically report automated test runs with plug-ins for many leading automated testing tools, including TestComplete and HP Quick Test Pro (QTP).
- Organize your test library any way you like: by component, functional area, release, or Agile sprint.
- Add, print, edit, or email test cases with a single click.
Test Automation Tool Integrations:
QAComplete supports many automated testing tools, including AutomatedQA TestComplete and HP QuickTest Pro. Integration with test automation tools allows you review the run history of any automated test on any machine, so if you have a test lab with multiple machines running automated tests, you can compare machine run history. Since you can co-ordinate both manual and automated tests, you have better test information to make release decisions.
By integrating automated testing into QAComplete, you can:
- Launch the tests from within your automated tool and automatically report the run information to QAComplete for analysis of runs over time.
- Trend results using graphical dashboards and schedule tests to run unattended.
The goal of traceability is to ensure “adequate” test coverage for each software requirement. It is important to maintain traceability both forwards and backwards, from requirement to test case and from test case to requirement. This ensures that design specifications are appropriately verified and that requirements are appropriately validated, ultimately reducing software defects and – this is the ultimate goal, after all – improving code quality.
- Link together requirements, test cases, and reported defects.
- Drag and drop functionality to link test cases or defects to a requirement.
- With one click, see a traceability report showing all linkages to a particular requirement.
QAComplete helps you manage requirements regardless of your team’s development methodology. It lets you define requirements for each release and track the release for which each requirement is scheduled. Workflow configuration allows users to define their own requirement statuses and add custom workflow rules (like automated assignment and state transition rules). Integrated linking with test cases delivers clear requirements test coverage reports.
- Govern workflow and state transitions. Using workflow, you can force design reviews, approvals, or test reviews.
- Easily set rules for status transitions.
- Automatically assign tasks to team members based on requirement status; receive email alerts when requirements change.
- Attach documents to any requirement (such as detail designs, specifications, and prototypes), and track versions of those documents.
- Add notes to the requirement, allowing the team to discuss requirement changes and other important issues.
- View an audit history of any requirement, showing who made a change, the date and time of the change, and the before-and-after values.
- Rely on an extensive set of standard and ad-hoc dashboards and reports (requirements missing test cases, etc.)
Defect and Issue Tracking:
QAComplete allows you to track status and resolution progress of defects and issues for each release. Instead of spending your time entering data, the software automatically generates a defect identifier on failed test cases, so testers can invest their time running the tests, not administration.
Integration with Atlassian JIRA, Bugzilla, and other web-based defect tracking tools allow you to blend QAComplete features with the defect tracking tools your organization already uses.
- Coordinate QA and development teams to coordinate activities as bugs are found.QAComplete has a full featured defect tracking component.
- If your team already owns a bug tracking system (like JIRA, Bugzilla, Microsoft TFS, etc.), you can create defects inside of QAComplete and have those automatically synchronized with your bug tracking system.
- Source code integration lets you associate source code with fixed defects. By doing this, you can quickly discover which code modules are the most buggy, allowing your team to put effort into raising the quality of that code.
- Defect reports and dashboards show defects by severity, priority, or other criteria.
Seamless Integration with other ALM tools:
If your team has already sunk costs into an existing requirements or defect management tools, it may be difficult to convince your team to switch. With QAComplete, you don’t have to switch. QAComplete can seamlessly integrate with many defect and ALM tools including Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS), HP Quality Center, IBM Rational Doors, IBM Rational RequisitePro, Rational Team Concert, Atlassian JIRA, Rally, Version One, Bugzilla, and Accept 360.
If you are using any of these tools for defect or requirements management, you can enter defects or requirements in QAComplete and automatically sync them to the other system. Likewise, if you add or update items in the other system, it can automatically sync those changes to QAComplete.
Seamless Integration with Source Control Systems:
Associating defects and requirements with source code provides great traceability, allowing you to quickly discover troublesome code and requirements that required the most re-work. Using the QAComplete SCM integrators, you can associate defects or requirements when checking in source code. We support the following SCM systems: Subversion, Perforce, CVS, and Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS).
Extensive Dashboards and Reporting for QA Activities:
QAComplete provides an array of analysis tools. Status screens, dashboards, and reports help you stay on track, better plan your next release, and answer the most pressing questions about your software development projects. For example:
- Are you progressing properly in your test cycle? The Test Case Trending dashboard shows how many test cases are still awaiting run, how many passed, and how many have failed, day-by-day.
- Which tester has the most assigned defects? View a Defect Assignee report that shows defects by assignee. Click the assignee graph to get further details, print, export to Word, Excel or PDF, or email the results.
- Review team and project variances, allowing you to you learn from each project as to improve future estimates.
Easy Data Entry:
QAComplete makes it easy for you to automatically generate a defect from a failed test case. With one-click cloning of records, you can pass along to your development team all the relevant steps to reproduce the problem, along with expected and actual results, without having to re-enter anything.
- Automatically create a link between the defect and the test case.
- Existing test cases linked to a requirement automatically link the defect to the requirement as well for full traceability.
Flexible Licensing Model:
Our QAComplete SaaS offering allows you to focus on your core business activities while keeping costs down. Our online option means you don’t have to mess with server configuration, hardware support, or other data center annoyances. Sign up to get up and running immediately and leave the hosting to us.
- On-demand, available anytime, from anywhere.
- Sign up and turn it on with no implementation effort.
- Safe and secure data center.
- For those who would prefer to host the software, or are unable to use a SaaS model, we also offer an on-premise option. Both are backed by our outstanding and friendly support staff.
Web-Based User Interface:
QAComplete has a Web interface. Nothing needs to be installed on your hard drive.
- Users with an Internet connection may access QAComplete from home or anywhere in the world..
- Distributed and offshore teams can easily share QA artifacts with one another and local teams.
- Supports all major browsers, including Internet Explorer, Fire Fox, Safari, and Google Chrome.
Enterprise Edition Hardware Requirements:
- Microsoft Windows 2003 Server (either 32-, or 64-bit edition), or Microsoft Windows 2008 Server (either 32-, or 64-bit edition).
- Microsoft Internet Information Services ver. 6 or 7.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or 2008, or Microsoft SQL Express 2005 or 2008 for 10 or fewer concurrent users.
- 2 CPU minimum.
- 4 GB RAM minimum (the more, the better).
- 50 GB hard drive (RAID recommended).
- The server can be a standalone physical computer or a virtual server.
- If you use fewer than 50 concurrent users, the database server and web server can reside on the same machine. If you are going to use 50 or more concurrent users, we recommend that you use separate computers for the database and web servers.
SaaS Edition Requirements:
- No hardware requirements. You only need a web browser.
- We support Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 and later, Firefox, Safari and Google Chrome.
Download trial version: http://smartbear.com/products/qa-tools/qacomplete/
100 Cummings Center
Beverly, MA 01915